Construction of the Prince Albert Caserne in Brussels began in 1896. In the beginning only 2 buildings were erected to accommodate the soldiers of the ‘Regiment des Grenadiers'. Afterwards the original buildings in the Rue des Petits Carmes were demolished and replaced by additional constructions with an impressive outer wall in neobaroque style. Deviating from the monumental nature of this façade, the corner tower (Rue des Petits Carmes - Rue du Pépin) was used as an Officers Mess, in accordance with the Regiment's traditions 1).
Some pictures of the Prince Albert Caserne during the first Obscure Convention in 1999.
Inside one of its disused buildings, the Dubeucq Block, can be found rooms wich are a perfect copy of part of the A. Desombres Museum. Despite thorough research conducted during the First Obscure convention, no satisfactory explanation has yet been found to explain this occurrence.
Most of the buildings are demolished. Only the mess has been turned into a hotel and the remaining space has been used to build apartments.
Only some pieces of the tiles remain….