Table of Contents
Exposition des Arts décoratifs (L')
L'Exposition des Arts décoratifs marked the artistic creation in France during the Roaring Twenties. The organisation of the International Exhibition of Modern Decorative and Industrial Arts held in Paris from April to October 1925. Located between the Esplanade des Invalides and the Grand and Petit Palais, the Exhibition brought together the pavilions of the regions of France and the major nations invited 1).
The 4 "Plumet" towers The Burgundy Tower
Charles Plumet was a French architect, decorator and ceramist born in Cirey-sur-Vezouze, Meurthe-et-Moselle on May 17, 1861, and died in Paris on April 15, 1928. Charles Plumet was, with Tony Selmersheim, one of the founders in 1896 of the Group of Five, which later became L'Art dans Tout, and which had a hand in the development of Art Nouveau1. A ceramist and decorator, he designed numerous shops in Paris, delivered private mansions and built several apartment buildings.
In 1925, he was appointed chief architect of the Decorative Arts exhibition.
Charles Plumet, in the overall plan he drew up for the exhibition, had foreseen four monumental towers thirty metres high, intended to create a certain order in the exhibition and to emerge above the multitude of pavilions. Each of them is named after one of the greatest wines. The towers are made of reinforced concrete and seem to be trying to raise their powerful mass to the sky for eternity.
Each of the four wine towers has an overhang on the upper floor - a sort of flowery loggia - inside which regional restaurants are located, where French chefs offer visitors the most renowned varieties of our culinary art.
In addition to the restaurant rooms in the upper part of the towers, there are other rooms for various events. An auditorium has been installed in one of the towers. A giant orchestra can be heard there, made up of a set of high-powered loudspeakers, to which automatic musical instruments are attached.
Emblematic image of the album, used for the Exhibition “Les Cités Obscures” in Colomiers (21 October to 2 November 1990). The only poster illustrating an architecture of the North Shore of Urbicande. And Illustration from La Fièvre d'Urbicande page 78 box 3.
Pavilion “Primavera” by Sauvage Wybo and A. Levard.
Illustration of La Fièvre d'Urbicande page 54 box 3.
Pavillon de Nancy
Pavillon de Nancy by Pierre Bourgeois.
Illustration of La Fièvre d'Urbicande page 82 box 3.
Pavilion of Galeries Lafayette
Pavilion of Galeries Lafayette.
Illustration of La Fièvre d'Urbicande page 29 box 6.
La Porte d'Honneur
La Porte d'Honneur by Henry Favier and André Ventre.
Illustration from La Fièvre d'Urbicande page 29 box 5, page 50 box and the Catalogue 1985 by Casterman.
Hall of the Grand Palais
Hall of the Grand Palais by Charles Letrosne.
llustration from La Fièvre d'Urbicande page 31 box 3.
Pavillon Pomone (Grands Magasins du Bon Marché) by architect L. H. Boileau,
Image from La Fièvre d'Urbicande page 71 box 2.
The "Manufacture Nationale de Sèvres" pavilion
The “Manufacture Nationale de Sèvres” pavilion.
Illustration from La Fièvre d'Urbicande page 54 box 2.