Hangar Y is the first airship hangar in the world, located north of Paris in the city of Meudon, and one of the few still standing. France's first airship to achieve a closed circuit was built here by Charles Renard and Arthur Constantin Krebs 1).
Hangar Y is so named because it appeared under the letter Y in some plans. It was built in 1878 in the Central Establishment of the Military Air Station in the park of Chalais-Meudon. Its dimensions are 70 meters long, 24 meters wide and 20 meters high 2).
Hangar Y has been classified as a historical monument since 4 June 2002. Since 2018 the site has been redeveloped so Hangar Y can become a venue for exhibitions and events devoted to science, With 1,200 m² dedicated to the history and future of the airship, and space with 1,500 seats for cultural and musical events 3).
For the exhibition “La Science à Meudon” François Schuiten and Laurent Durieux has revisited the Hangar 'Y' in a superb illustration created together. The screen print was published in July 2020 by Atlantic 12.