Table of Contents
朦胧城市 (Chinese translations)
Several publishers in China have published translations of the albums of François Schuiten and Benoît Peeters.
As a promoting for the first 1000 buyers of one of the new translations they made a free shopping bag with an image of L'Enfant Penchée.
Although the “People's Fine Arts Publishing House” editions didn't need any alterations, the “Huazhong” edition of “L'Enfant Penchée”, “La Tour” and “La frontière invisible” have some minor changes to make the album a bit more modest.
- Page 136, upper half of the page, image 1 and 4 have a different cut-out
- Page 136, lower half of the page, the middle image have a different cut-out
- Page 137, lower half of the page, image 1 and 2 have a different cut-out
- Page 60, lower half of the page, middle image - more dress added
- Page 61, upper half of page, right image divided in two and different cut-out
- Page 61, lower half of page, 4 images instead of 5, image 2 and 3 have different cut-out image 4 skipped
La frontière invisible
- Page 32, upper half of the page, right image on top is altered
- Page 32, lower half of the page, right image is altered
- Page 33, upper half of the page, right top image is altered
- Page 33, upper half of the page, left lower image is altered
- Page 33, lower half of the page, right image is altered
- Page 46, upper half of the page, top image is altered
- Page 46, upper half of the page, lower image has different cut-out
- Page 74, lower half of the page, second and third image has different cut-out
- Page 75, upper half of the page, first and third image have different cut-out
- Page 82, lowest right image is altered
- Page 83, image 1,2 and 4 are altered
- Page 124, lowest row, both images are altered
- Page 125, first row, second image is altered
- Page 126, first image has different cut-out
- Page 126, third image on second row is altered
All changes were made with the approval of the authors.
Dala Books plans to publish the book “La Promenade BD: de Paris à Angoulême”. This book will include an interview with Benoît Peeters.
Some interior pages of the Chinese translation of La Frontière Invisible.
People's Fine Arts Publishing House
In 2015 the Chinese publisher People Fine Arts started publishing the Obscure Cities series (朦胧城市). The publisher has published the first two volumes in February 2015: 巨塔 (La Tour) and 倾斜的女孩 (L'Enfant Penchée).
The albums are published on luxury 180 gr, slightly dull cream paper. The albums of the Obscure Cities will be subject to a fine production and will be sold at prices still unusual for this market: between 9 and 15 euros. For comparison, the Tintin albums are sold at prices ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 euros (flexible format).
The publisher has also decided to call a duo translator to ensure the best possible result: The first is a very competent and technical translator, used to translate essays, articles and several books from French to Chinese. The second is an art historian, who can bring the Cities every nuance required in references and manipulated concepts.
The People's Fine Arts Publishing House is a national press specializing in fine arts. It was established in Beijing in September 1951 1).
The People's Fine Arts Publishing House mainly publishes various Chinese excellent works and treatises of fine arts, sorts out and publishes ethnic artistic heritage, as well as publishes and introduces foreign works and relevant treatises of fine arts that are valuable in research and for reference. Its publications include: various albums and treatises of fine arts and photograph, textbooks of fine arts and books on practical skills, comic strips, New Year paintings, posters, periodicals of fine arts and art series. In the past 40 years, it has published nearly ten thousand titles of books, pictures, and periodicals. Since 1987, it has been publishing about 400 titles every year, among which new editions account for more than two-thirds. Many of its publications have been highly praised by the artistic circle at home and abroad, and have been welcomed by numerous readers 2).
The Chinese WeChat application is a colossal success, it includes whatsapp communication features (text messaging, audio and video) and a community site like Facebook (which itself is unavailable in China) 4).
A group of senior editors and teachers took the initiative to launch a consultation / on-line discussion about the concept of Green Reading. La Tour was part of 50 alternative reading books that were published in 2015, covering all areas of the humanities, social sciences, literature, biography, science, children's, art, etc.
During a 5 day voting period La Tour received the most votes.
Some examples of the Chinese edition of Les Murailles de Samaris.
Visit Schuiten and Peeters
The “Book of Schuiten” has been translated to Chinese by Artmedia. The book has been published in June 2016 during a book presentation of Schuiten and Peeters in bookshop Page One in Beijing.
To promote the release of the book a puzzle was made of the cover.